If you’re a Microsoft Office and Outlook 365 user, you may need to export your mailbox to PST for a variety of reasons. Maybe you’re migrating to a new email service and need to take your data with you. Or maybe you want to create a backup of your mailbox in case something goes wrong or simple export mailbox from Office 365 to PST file.
A PST file is an archive file that can store all of your Outlook data, including emails, contacts, calendar items, and more. In this guide, we’ll show you how to export your Outlook 365 mailbox to PST step-by-step.
The good news is that it’s actually pretty easy to export an Outlook 365 mailbox to PST. In fact, you can finish the export process to PST format from within the Outlook 365 interface.
There are a few different ways to export an Outlook 365 mailbox to PST, and we’ll walk you through each one step-by-step.
Methods to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST
Whatever the reason, exporting an Outlook 365 mailbox to PST is a pretty simple process. Here are a few different ways that you can export PST from Office 365:
Export Mailbox to PST From Office 365 – PowerShell Method
The PowerShell method is a command-line interface that offers more control over the entire process as compared to eDiscovery because it is a manual method. In addition, the eDiscovery PST export tool exports Office mailboxes in the .pst file format that is not supported by all email clients.
There are a few limitations to the PowerShell method:
- The PowerShell method only works for mailboxes that are less than 50 GB in size.
- You can only export one mailbox at a time using this method.
- This method can only be performed if you are an Office 365 administrator.
You can perform the following steps to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST using PowerShell:
1) First, click to open the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell.
2) After that, you need to connect to your Microsoft 365 organization by using the following command:
3) Now, you have to create a remote Mailbox Export Request by using New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet as shown below:
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox “Test Mailbox” -FilePath “\\SERVER01\PST\Testmailbox.pst”
4) Once the above command gets executed successfully, you will see a message that says, “The mailbox export request was created successfully.”
After this, you can check the status of your export request by using Get-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet as shown below:
You will see a list of all running and completed export requests, as well as the export progress on the MS exchange server. If you want to check the status of a specific export request, you can use the following command:
Get-MailboxExportRequest -Identity “Mailbox Export Request” | Get-MailboxExportRequestStatistics
This will give you detailed information about the specific export request.
Export PST from Office 365 Using eDiscovery
The eDiscovery export tool is a web-based interface that you can use to search for and preserve content in an Office 365 organization. You can use this method to export an Outlook data file and public folders to PST file format.
However, this export Office mailbox tool also has its own limitations:
- You can only export one mailbox at a time using eDiscovery.
- New users find this manual method difficult because of its long steps.
- There is no selective export option for data items.
- This export process takes more time than others.
In addition, the eDiscovery export tool exports mailboxes in the .pst file format that is not supported by all email clients.
To export a mailbox to PST using eDiscovery, follow these steps:
- First, open the Exchange Admin Center and navigate to compliance management.
- Then, click on the eDiscovery tab and select the + button to create a new eDiscovery case.
- Using the In-Place eDiscovery & hold wizard, enter the Name and Description in the corresponding places and proceed.
- After giving the case a name and description, use the Search Query wizard to filter based on criteria. A list of all mailboxes in the organization will be displayed. Select the data file properties options for the mailbox you want to export Office 365 to PST file, then click Next. Once you’ve selected your desired mailboxes from the search results, choose PST as the format from the file formats file menu and select a location to save the file.
- Run the eDiscovery case by clicking Run on the Security Warning.
- First, open the Exchange Admin Center and navigate to compliance management.
Once the process is completed, you will see a “Completed” status next to the eDiscovery case. You can then go to the location that you specified and find the PST file that was exported from Office 365.
Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST Using Third-Party Tools
If you want to export multiple mailboxes from Office 365 to PST, then you can use a third-party tool like Stellar Converter for Office 365. This tool allows you to export multiple mailboxes and public folders to a PST file in just a few simple steps.
In addition, this online method also provides many features that are not available in the native methods, such as:
- The ability to export mailboxes in batches to PST file format
- An option to selectively export mailbox items
- Preview of all mailbox data before exporting
- Support for all versions of Outlook PST files
- The ability to export Office 365 mailbox to PST without any size limitations
To export mailboxes from Office 365 to PST using Stellar Converter for Office 365, follow these steps:
1) Download, install, and run Stellar Converter for Office 365 on your system.
2) Enter the credentials of your Office 365 account. The tool will then scan your account and display all mailboxes in a tree-like structure on the left panel.
3) Select the mailbox or public folder that you want to export to PST and click Convert. The tool will now start exporting the selected mailbox data to PST. Once the process is completed, you can view all exported data in Outlook or any other email client that supports PST files.
You can also save the converted data to various formats like MSG, EML, RTF, HTML, and PDF.
Export Microsoft 365 mailbox to a .pst file via Outlook app
You may add your Microsoft 365 email account to standalone Outlook application for Windows OS. After that you will be able to move all supported items like email messages, calendar appointments, contacts etc. into Microsoft 365 account mailbox.
- In MS Outlook click menu File > Open & Export > Import/Export
- Select Export to a file option and click Next button.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next button.
- Select Microsoft 365 account select an account and continue the wizard to export to PST file.
Office 365 Export PST File Size Limit
Office 365 is a powerful tool for businesses of all sizes, but one of its most useful features is the ability to export Office mailboxes to a PST file. This can be helpful when moving data to a new computer or backing up important files. It can also be helpful for those who need to migrate to protect their data integrity and safeguard against data loss and file corruption.
However, there is an intrinsic limit to the exported PST file size that can be exported from Office 365. The maximum size for an exported PST file is 50 GB. This limit applies to both free and paid versions of Office 365.
If you need to export more than 50 GB of data, you will need to split the PST file into multiple files. This can be done using a utility such as PST Splitter. Splitting a large PST file into multiple smaller files can make it easier to manage and transfer the data. It also helps to prevent problems with corruption or data loss.
To split a PST file, you will need to create a new PST file and then drag and drop the data from the old PST file into the new one. Once all of the data has been moved, you can delete the old PST file.
You can then export each of the smaller PST files from Office 365. This process can be repeated until all of the data has been exported.
Final Thoughts on Exporting Office 365 Mailbox to PST
Exporting data from Office 365 to a PST file is a helpful way to back up important files or move data to a new computer. There are two methods that can be used to export data: the native method and using a third-party tool.
The native method has a limit of 50 GB for the exported PST file. If you need to export more than 50 GB of data, you can use a utility such as PST Splitter to split the PST file into multiple smaller exported PST files.
If you want to export multiple mailboxes or public folders, then you can use a third-party tool like Stellar Converter for Office 365. This tool allows you to export all mailbox data to PST in just a few simple steps.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?