vCard to Outlook Transfer – User’s Manual
Transfer of contacts from one system to another may seem like a complex task from the first glance – and it truly is, if done manually. However, tools like vCard to Outlook Transfer turn this seemingly challenging procedure into a chain of simple steps that anyone can cope with. Below is a detailed instruction on using the program for transferring any number of contacts in the *.vcf format to Outlook or a PST file.
VCF format and program functionality
vCard is the standard format of electronic business cards that is widely supported by countless programs on the market. These files have the .vcf extension and are essentially text files with multiple fields defined using special markup.
vCard to Outlook Transfer is the only program needed for converting any number of VCF files of any structure to Outlook. Capable of saving data either to an Outlook profile or an Outlook PST file, the program perfectly complements the software kit of any system administrator or even a regular user who occasionally needs to add more contacts to his or her copy of Outlook. Fortunately for novices, the program’s interface consists of a single windows with a very limited number of control elements: a source folder field, a large text area containing the names of all found VCF files from the source location, an area with log entries generated during the conversion, and, finally, a button that starts the vCard to Outlook conversion process.
Getting ready to convert your contacts
Before you start the conversion process, make sure you’ve got your contacts stored in a single folder and organized in a way you want them to appear in Outlook.
Follow the instructions below to convert VCF contact files to Outlook:
- Start the program by clicking a corresponding icon on your desktop or selecting it in the Start menu. Important: run 32-bit tool if your Outlook version is 32-bit and 64-bit tool if Outlook is 64-bit.
- Click the Browse “…” button (the one with three dots) to open the standard Windows folder selection dialog. Browse to the folder with your VCF files and confirm your selection.
- The source folder field in the upper part of the window will display the path to the folder you selected.
- Click “Scan Folder” to start searching for contacts in the selected folder. If the program finds any, it will display their names in the “Source Files” area.
- At this point, you can also configure the program’s conversion options available in the Options menu:
1. Check that email client is running – turning this option on will make the program check if MS Outlook is running during conversion and ask you to close it to prevent access conflicts.
2. Remind to disable antivirus – if enabled, this option will notify the user that all anti-virus tools must be closed or disabled during the data conversion process. If they keep working, they can block access to files and prevent the program from completing data transfer.
3. Prompt to select the Outlook profile – this option helps select the destination Outlook profile for your contacts.
4. Target Outlook folder [Prompt to select the Outlook folder; Inbox] – helps define the default destination folder for transferred contacts. Do this manually before every conversion or set it to “Inbox” to apply it automatically to all future conversions. Discontinued option.
5. The “Mode” menu allows you to choose the necessary conversion mode: an Outlook profile or a PST file. Depending on what you select, your vCard contacts will be saved either to an Outlook profile or a standalone PST file.
- Once the options have been configured, you are ready for file conversion. To do this, click the “Save” button. Note that if the “Remind to disable antivirus” option is on, vCard to Outlook Transfer tool will prompt you to temporarily disable your anti-viruses to avoid potential access conflicts. Click OK to accept and continue. It is also possible that you will see an Office configuration selection window now. If you do, just leave the settings unchanged and click OK to continue.
- A new dialog for selecting the target folder will open.
- Choose an existing folder or create a new one, change the PST file name if needed, then click OK to start the data transfer.
If you previously chose to import contacts directly Outlook profile, you will undergo the same process, except for the destination folder selection step. In this case, you need to choose a folder on your system or LAN instead of an Outlook profile.
Opening and inspecting PST file contacts
If you imported contacts into PST file, you may want to open it and check the contacts. To do so, perform the following steps:
- Run Outlook and use menu File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data File
- Select PST file and press Open button
- Press Ctrl+6 keys combination to enable the Folders View
- Click Contacts and check the contacts.
If you want to join contacts with your main contact list, you may press Ctrl+3 button and then select the contact folders to join. Content of selected contact folders will be view joined into view.
This concludes the vCard to Outlook conversion process. Should you have any questions, please contact our support service.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?