Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer – User’s Manual
In this article, we will show you how to convert your entire Mac Mail email archive to Microsoft Outlook on a PC in a few steps. Since we will be dealing with two different platforms here, the process will include an extra step that is not usually needed – physical transfer of your source data from one system to another. Apart from this, the process is nearly identical to that of all our products and we will describe it in full detail below. Here is how to import emails from Mac Mail to Outlook quickly and flawlessly.
Content of this instruction:
- How to find source folder and files?
- How to convert Mac Mail emails to the PST file?
- How to transfer Mac Mail emails directly to Microsoft Outlook?
For a typical user, selection of the source data folder is probably one of the most difficult aspects of the entire email migration process. Email applications store data in different formats and completely different locations. If you migrate from Mac Mail to Outlook, the process involves more than just selecting a folder on the hard drive – emails must first be copied from the source Mac OS system to a PC with Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer software installed on it.
Preparing Mac Mail messages:
If you have the modern version of the Mac Mail (v.10), you do not need to find the location of the Mac Mail data store. Instead of that you may save Mac Mail messages into mailbox files using the “Export Mailbox…” function.
Do the following to export Mac Mail messages:
- Run Mac Mail and expand the folders tree if needed
- Right click to the folder name to export
- Click Export Mailbox…
- Select the location and save the exported mailbox
- Do the same to export other Mac Mail folders
- Copy or move emails from Mac Mail folders to the Windows PC
- Use the Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer tool to convert emails from the saved mailboxes.
If you using the older Mac Mail version where the “Export Mailbox…” function is not available , you may need to do the following (skip this if you exported mailboxes successfully):
- On your Mac, open the Finder, then hold down the Option key and choose Go>Library.
- Now open the “Mail/Mailboxes” folder. That’s where you will find all of your messages and mailboxes.
- Select all files and sub-folders in this folder and use any available medium (USB flash drive, external hard drive, a CD/DVD disc, a cloud storage, etc) to copy the files from your Mac to a folder on the destination PC. This folder will become your source folder for Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer.
This completes the preparatory stage of importing emails from Mac Mail to Outlook. Once you have successfully copied the files to the PC system, you are ready to convert the data.
As an alternative to converting Mac Mail .MBOX files directly to Outlook, you can save them to a standalone .PST file. This may come in handy in situations when you want to use your Apple email archive on a completely different system. You can still export and import Mac Mail data easily. In this case, you can save them to a PST file and copy it to any system you need.
Here is what you need to do:
- Download and install Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer utility on your Windows PC.
- Start Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer software.
(Please use 32-bit shortcut if your Outlook version is 32-bit and 64-bit shortcut if Outlook version is 64-bit)
- Click the “…” (browse) button to open a folder selection dialog and navigate the folder containing the *.mbox or *.emlx files that you copied from the Mac OS system. The same can be done using the File->Open command in the system menu.
- Click the “Scan Folder” button to start the search for email files in the selected folder. The files that Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer tool will be able to convert to PST file are shown in a large text box in the middle of the program window.
- Use the Mode > Save to PST file command from the program menu to change the conversion mode.
The “Import” button will be replaced with “Save PST“.
- Click “Save” to start the conversion process. The program will prompt for the target folder for your data to be saved to. Pick the necessary one and confirm your selection.
- Wait until the process is over. Please note that the program takes care of email encoding as well, so your Mac messages will be completely readable on your PC.
- The resulting PST file can be immediately backed up, copied to another system and loaded to Outlook. To open PST file in MS Outlook use menu File > Open > Outlook Data File…
You have now successfully copied the source files from the Mac OS system. The MBOX or EMLX files are located in a folder on your hard drive. It is time to export them to Outlook.
- Download and install Mac Mail converter on your PC.
- Start Mac Mail to Outlook migration software.
(Please use 32-bit shortcut if your Outlook is 32-bit and 64-bit shortcut if Outlook version is 64-bit)
- Click the “…” button to open a folder selection dialog and navigate the folder containing the *.mbox or *.emlx files that you copied from the Mac OS system. You can also use the File->Open command in the program menu for this purpose.
- Click the “Scan Folder” button to start the search for email files in the selected folder. The files that Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer tool will be able to transfer are shown in a large text box in the middle of the program window.
- Click menu “Mode” and choose “Import to Outlook” option
- Click “Import” to start the conversion process. In case there are several profiles in your copy of Outlook, the program will prompt for the target Outlook profile for your data to be saved to. Pick the necessary one and confirm your selection.
- The program will then ask you to select a folder in this profile for saving your data using the standard Outlook folder selection dialog. You may click to the existing folder name to choose it. Additionally you may create new folder to import emails. When you will be ready press “Done“.
- Wait until the process is over.
Please note that the program takes care of email encoding as well, so your Mac messages will be completely readable on your PC.
Additionally you may save Mac Mail emails into EML files, for that you have to choose “Save to EML” in the program menu “Mode“.
If you need to import Apple Mail to Outlook Mac, an Office 365 Exchange account should sync all of your devices and apps. Alternatively, extract emails in the MBOX format, convert them to PST or OLM and import just as easily.
Mac Mail to Outlook Transfer tool dramatically simplifies the email conversion process, takes care of message encoding and automatically searches for source data files in the user-defined folder. Even if you have never worked with data converters, Mac Mail messages conversion utility will help you migrate from the Mac OS platform to the PC in no time.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding the work of the program, please feel free to contact our technical support team. They will analyse your request and will get back to you in the shortest time possible.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?