EML to Outlook Transfer – Usage Instructions
Email conversion of any sort is quite often a complex process that involves a great number of dependency and format compatibility checks, implies a strict sequence of actions and requires a certain skill and knowledge level from the person undertaking it. People who have never performed data migration in any shape or form are understandably wary of doing it on their own, which makes them spend time and money to have it done by professionals. All of this can be avoided with the help of our products.
EML to Outlook Transfer is a tool that helps users save time and money while converting their email messages to Outlook. The software supports EML as the source format, which means that it can be used with a broad range of email clients supporting this format “out of the box” or through conversion from proprietary formats. The only supported destination format is PST, Microsoft Outlook’s native data container that is not directly supported by any other application on the market. EML to Outlook Transfer software ensures a speedy, reliable and accurate conversion of your EML files and folder structure directly to Microsoft Outlook or a standalone PST file on your hard drive. At the same time, the product is extremely intuitive and user-friendly, so you don’t need a master’s degree in computer science to migrate from your old email client to Outlook. The process is fully guided, automated, and 100% hassle-free.
Brief EML to Outlook Conversion Guide
- Run EML to Outlook Transfer software.
- Specify the location of the Source Folder.
- Click Scan Folder button to find all subfolders.
- Click Save PST button to start the conversion.
- Open Outlook to see imported emails.
Step by Step Guide on Import of EML Files to Outlook
In this article, we will provide different methods you can use to import EML files to the Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and earlier versions. You can use both manual approaches and applications.
Below are detailed instructions for getting ready for and performing your very first EML to PST conversion.
Step 1 – EML to Outlook conversion tool installation
EML to Outlook Transfer software is supplied as a one-file distribution package. Please note that we do not guarantee the safety of files downloaded from any site except for the official one. The program requires no additional components to be downloaded and is ready to be used immediately after installation. The most recent version of EML to Outlook Transfer is fully compatible with all Outlook versions for Windows and can be used for opening .eml files in Outlook.
- Download the program to your computer
- Start the installation file. If you have UAC enabled, you will see a corresponding prompt for your permission to run the program. Answer affirmatively to continue.
- Agree to the program’s usage terms and conditions by checking the corresponding box.
- Wait until the program is fully installed.
- On the last page of the installation wizard, select the version of the program to start. If you have already installed the program, locate the program in the Start menu or use a desktop shortcut.
You may read more about software setup and removal in the specific instruction. If your Outlook version is 2013, you may need to install the latest updates from Microsoft to fix the issue related to the click-to-run set up,
Check this brief video of the conversion process* - The unregistered version converts a limited number of messages
Step 2 – Selection of the source EML files to be imported
Before you proceed with EML to Outlook conversion, you need to make sure that you have properly prepared your source EML files and folders. This tutorial is based on the assumption that you have already extracted your email files to a folder on your hard drive either manually or using a built-in email export function or a third-party email extraction tool. For more information about exporting/extracting email messages to the EML format, please feel free to browse our site and check out corresponding tools.
If you have already taken care of this and your files have been saved to a particular folder on your computer’s hard drive, do the following:
- Start the EML to Outlook Transfer tool
- Click the button to the left of the … (Browse) button to open a folder selection dialog. Use this dialog to locate the folder with your messages. Once done, the path to your files will be displayed in the Source Folder field.
- Click the Scan Folder button. The program will scan the folder you selected and display a list of files in the Email Containers area.
- Select the files to be converted using the checkboxes to the left of the filenames in the list or leave all files selected by default. [Optionally]
- Press the Save PST button and specify the PST file name and location where it should be created.
- Press the OK button to start the conversion.
- Start the EML to Outlook Transfer tool
Step 3 – EML to Outlook conversion process
You have now successfully selected the EML files (Point #4) to be imported to Outlook. Please bear in mind that the EML conversion will not be possible without a copy of Outlook installed on your computer, since the tool uses some of its components for data processing.
EML to Outlook Transfer has a number of preprocessing options that you should be aware of. These options can be found in the Options section of the main program menu:
- Check that email client is running – when enabled, this option checks if Outlook is running and requests that the user close it to prevent potential file access conflicts.
- Remind to disable antivirus – if this option is unchecked, the program will no longer warn the user that all antivirus products like Norton, Kaspersky, or ESET must be closed/deactivated during data conversion, since they may affect its result or even make it impossible.
- Use internal format processor – when this option is enabled, the program will use its own data file parser that quite often performs better than the standard one (the data parser is not yet a part of the standard package and is made available upon request).
- Correct email encoding (Mac/Unix to Win) – when enabled, this option makes sure that EML files copied from Mac or Unix systems for conversion to a PC-based copy of Microsoft Outlook are properly processed and emails are readable on the destination system.
- Prompt to select the Outlook profile – turn this option on if you want to be able to select the Outlook profile for your data. This option works only when Import mode is active.
- Target Outlook folder [Prompt to select the Outlook folder; Inbox] – sets the default destination folder for converted emails. The user can specify it manually every time files are converted or set it to “Inbox” for all future conversions.
- Split output PST file – enables the PST file splitting with the option to choose one of the predefined volume sizes.
- Open PST file location (when finished) – if this option is enabled, the program will open the File Explorer window and select the created PST file when conversion is completed.
- Create nested folders structure in Outlook – creates the copy of file system folders and sub-folders in Outlook. Disabling this option instructs the program to import all emails into a selected folder without creating the folder structure.
The “Mode” section in the main program menu contains the following items:
- Import to Outlook
- Save to PST file
These options are fairly self-explanatory. The former will instruct the program to import directly to the current Outlook profile, while the latter will save your data to a PST file on your hard drive that you can use in a number of ways.
Now that you have selected the files to be processed and the necessary conversion options, you are ready to start the actual conversion process. Assuming that you are transferring data directly to Outlook, here is what you need to do:
- Click the Import button. The program will ask you to disable your antivirus software for some time to avoid potential problems (if the corresponding option is enabled). Click OK to accept and move on. You may also see an Office configuration selection window at this time. Just leave the setting unchanged and click OK to proceed.
- The program will open a dialog for selecting the destination Outlook folder for your exported data. Pick an existing folder or create a new one using a corresponding button, then click OK to start importing data.
- The program will start saving your emails to the selected folder.
In case you selected the Save to PST file option, the process will be nearly identical, with the exception of the destination folder selection step, where you will need to specify the name and location of the resulting file. The rest of the actions will be the same.
How to Open EML files in Outlook using the drag and drop method
You can open EML files in Outlook directly without using the transfer tool. However, Outlook needs to be installed for it to be effective.
This method is convenient if you have few eml files but may be troublesome for bulk .eml files.
- Open your MS Outlook software
Click the Windows button, or navigate to the search bar and type MS. Outlook. Open the software.
- Locate and drag and drop your EML files into Outlook
Check on your computer where your EML files are saved. Click one of the EML file, drag, and drop it into your Microsoft Outlook application. It may prompt you to choose the application you want to open the .eml file with. Choose MS Outlook.
You can import other eml files by using drag and drop method into Outlook software one at a time.
- View your email messages on Microsoft Outlook
Now you can view your email messages on Outlook.
How to Import EML to Outlook using Windows Live Mail
This method requires importing the .eml files to Windows Live Mail. It is straightforward as all the other manual and software methods.
- Open your MS Outlook Application and Windows Live Mail.
Open your MS Outlook application and Windows Live Mail application. On your Windows Live Mail application, click on the File > Export Email > email messages.
- Export your email messages
Choose to export through Microsoft Exchange and click Next. A confirmation pop-up will appear.
- Migrate your email folders
You can decide to migrate all the email folders or choose only the ones you want. Click OK and the export process will complete. Click on Finish.
Different email formats that can be imported in Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook application can open a variety of email formats like MSG, EML, and PST
MSG is a file format used to store individual email messages, tasks, meetings, appointments, contacts, and much more. It is compatible with any Outlook version.
EML is used by a variety of email clients. It even allows you to open using a text editor like Notepad.
How to save an email as a msg file in Outlook
Open your Microsoft Outlook application, select one email from the messages list. Click File and choose the Save as Option. Choose the folder you want to save it to and change the “save as type” to Outlook message format.
How to save a message as an .eml file
- Open a new email in MS Outlook
On the top menu bar of your Microsoft Outlook application, click on New Email. A new Windows box will appear.
- Create an email
Create a new message by writing the senders email address, subject and body.
- Save your email as an eml file
To save this email message as an eml file, click on File > Save as and choose the destination folder. On the drop down choose Text only and save.
- Open the saved text file using Notepad
Navigate to the saved text file and open using Notepad or your default text software.
Click on File > Save as and save using an eml extension. It will be saved automatically as an eml file.
You may also want to know:
- How to transfer emails from Thunderbird to Outlook
- Converting Incredimail messages to Outlook
- Saving Outlook emails for future use
- Opening and converting of MBOX files
- How to export Gmail emails to PST
This concludes the description of EML to Outlook or EML to PST conversion using EML to Outlook Transfer utility. Should you have any questions or issues with the program, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team.
Thank you for using GlexSoft products!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?