Mbox to Outlook Transfer – User’s Manual
The primary goal of Mbox to Outlook Transfer software is to assist users in moving their emails from any email client supporting the Mbox format to Outlook (existing profile or a separate PST file on the hard drive). This is achieved through complete automation of the conversion process, which includes the conversion of message encoding from non-Windows formats and recreation of the original structure of the source data folder. Our tool makes email migrations a simple and straightforward task that virtually any user can easily cope with.
Below is a step-by-step description of the email conversion process performed with the help of Mbox to Outlook Transfer utility. Please refer to this manual prior to contacting our technical support department.
MBOX file format and MBOX to PST conversion
MBOX is a specialized email storage format used by a number of email clients on Mac, Linux and Windows PC. The format has never been turned into a standard and currently has a huge number of variations. Neither of them is natively supported by Microsoft Outlook and they all need to be converted for compatibility with Outlook.
Mbox to Outlook Transfer software is a compact, fast and convenient tool that solves this problem and allows users to move MBOX email archives of any size from any platform to Outlook – either directly to an existing profile or to a standalone PST file. The program saves users’ time and money by letting them perform conversions on their own, without outsourcing this task to expensive external services or busy IT departments.
We did our best to simplify the User Interface of the program to the extent where it can be used by anyone: from a complete novice to a professional with years of experience of data conversion and recovery. As the result, conversion of a typical email archive takes no more than a minute and just a few mouse clicks.
Getting ready for email conversion
Before starting the email conversion process, you need to take care of the source data first. If you are migrating from a Mac, copy the Mbox files to the PC where Mbox to Outlook Transfer tool is installed. Use a USB stick, an external HDD, a Dropbox/Google Drive * folder or any other method of file transfer.
- Please do not use the Cloud drives as a source for the conversion. Copy your mailbox files locally and use the local source instead.
Below is a step-by-step instruction for converting MBOX files to Outlook:
- Start the program by clicking a desktop shortcut or selecting it from the Start menu.
- Click the button with three dots (…) to open the usual folder selection dialog. Browse to the folder containing the source files and select it. The path will be displayed in the source folder field.
- Click the “Find storages” button to start searching for MBOX files in the source folder and subfolders. The names of the found files will be displayed in the “Email Containers” area.
- You are now almost ready to start the mbox to outlook email conversion. Before you do that, you may want to modify some of the following options available in the “Options” menu:• Check that email client is running – if this option is enabled, the program will check if MS Outlook is running. If it is at the start of conversion, the program will ask you to close it to prevent potential access conflicts.
• Remind to disable antivirus – if the option is enabled, the program will notify the user that all anti-virus tools like Norton or Kaspersky must be closed or temporarily turned off during data conversion. If they are still on, they can interfere or even interrupt the process.
• Use internal format processor – choosing this option will enable an alternative data parser. Choose this option if the standard parser didn’t work as well as expected.
• Prompt to select the Outlook profile – this option I available in the “Import to Outlook” mode and enables you to select the destination Outlook profile for your converted data.
• Target Outlook folder [Prompt to select the Outlook folder; Inbox] – sets the default folder for converted emails. You can set it manually for every conversion or set it to “Inbox” as the default choice for future conversions.
The “Mode” menu of Mbox to Outlook Transfer lets you choose the conversion mode: Outlook profile or PST file. Depending on your choice, your data will be saved either to an Outlook profile or a PST file. (“Save to PST” mode is active by default. And you have to use this mode if your Outlook is configured to use IMAP or Exchange Server accounts.)
- You are ready to proceed to file conversion. To do this, click the “Import” button. If you enabled the “Remind to disable antivirus” option, the program will prompt you to temporarily disable your anti-virus to avoid potential conversion issues. Click OK to accept it and continue. You may also see an MS Office configuration selection window now – just leave everything “as is” and click OK to proceed.
- You will now see a dialog for selecting a destination for exported emails – pick an existing folder or create a new one, then click OK to start email conversion. If you chose to save data to a PST file, the process will be identical, save for the destination folder selection step – instead, you will need to specify a folder on your computer or LAN.
This concludes the Mbox to Outlook Transfer user’s manual. In case you are having problems with any of the program’s features, feel free to contact our support team.