What is an Outlook OST file, and why would you want to delete it? For example, if you use the system without an internet connection, all changes are still saved, and new emails arrive and leave the system once access is regained. The Outlook data file OST is indispensable because it saves all changes made offline. A new Microsoft Outlook OST file is generated upon synchronization with the exchange server.
Sadly, this storage may be damaged, which makes opening an OST file impossible. For example, viruses and synchronization issues may cause the data file to malfunction. Removal resolves them. Delete OST file Outlook 2010 or 2016 with ease!
Removing Microsoft OST File
To wipe out the file, you need to know where it is stored. Once you figure out how to find it, the procedure is very simple. You can delete an OST file in Outlook 2016 without hassle, or move it with ease. Note that this file location varies — specific versions of Outlook move OST file to specific places. For example, here is how to delete Outlook data file 2016.
- Begin by opening
- Head to the File section.
- Go to the settings for your personal account.
- Click on Data Files. You will see the location of the OST file. Of course, you cannot remove the OST file from this window. Copy the path to it.
- Open it via File Explorer.
- You will see several OST Outlook If in doubt, first copy them before deleting OST file data. Either press the Delete key or find the function in the menu summoned by right-clicking on the file.
Alternatively, you can find an OST file outside the mail client. Close it, and use the run command instead. It may be summoned by a combination of your Windows key and R. This works for any version of the system, be it Outlook 2010 or 2016. The “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook\” sequence and OK will get the job done.
Users of Microsoft Outlook 2013 and other versions may see an error message. This may happen for one of two reasons. First, you cannot delete the file while it is in use. Close the mail client and try again. Secondly, your Outlook profile may be corrupt. If the data in it is distorted, try manual deletion or eliminate the profile altogether.
How to Rebuild OST File
Deletion does not suffice, as Outlook will not continue working without an OST file. Thus, your next step is to rebuild it. The following measures will rebuild Outlook OST in various editions: from 2007 to 2013.
- Go to Tools (Outlook 2007) or File and Info (all later versions). This opens access to the settings for your account.
- Click on the settings button. You will see the Microsoft Exchange option. Double-click on it.
- A Setting window will pop up. Click on More Setting.
- Head to the tab titled Advanced.
- Click the file setting for offline folders — it can be named differently.
- Specify where you want the file to be stored and OK the procedure to create an OST file. By default, the name is Outlook.ost. Rename if necessary.
- At this point, you may see an error notification. The system will ask you if you would like to create a new file with the *.ost extension. Finalize the operation to recreate the OST file.
As you can see, it is not difficult to remove and repair the OST file. This is true for Outlook 2010 OST File and all other versions. Always generate a backup version of the data file. Make sure it is fresh, as you may lose recent changes otherwise. Delete OST file Outlook 2016 and preceding versions by following our guide.
More Knowledge Base articles
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?