When it comes to mail clients, Outlook is the preferred environment for many businesses and users. It is secure, versatile, and powerful. One may store and manage a large volume of e-correspondence and access multiple accounts on one server. However, there are also a few downsides — for example, some users feel frustrated when they try to export emails from MS Outlook.
While different manual methods exist, none of them is perfect. When there is little information, you could copy and paste separate emails into Word or another text processor. Original formatting may not be preserved.
In this article, we will cover a few reliable ways to turn your emails into spreadsheets for Microsoft Excel. Unfortunately, there is no magic button to let you export emails from Outlook to Excel automatically. It may be complex unless you know a few tricks — discover them below.
Reasons to Export Outlook Emails
Users may want to move their mail for different reasons. The most common motivations for exporting Outlook Emails to Microsoft Excel are the following:
- the need to transition to a new server
- the need to create a distribution list for other applications
- the need to switch between platforms
- the need to share information with another user
- the need for a backup.
When you move from system to system, data often gets damaged or lost. The task of transferring to Excel is no piece of cake — if you try a dubious method, you risk losing the information for good. Instead of taking unnecessary risks, take advantage of the secrets we share below. We will show you how to copy and paste the data or export to a CSV file instead.
Advantages of Import to Spreadsheets
Export to Microsoft Excel is one of the most reliable modes of transfer. The spreadsheet format allows you to arrange the conversations into a database. It will allow you to find old contacts and exchanges by different parameters like date of context.
A spreadsheet as a backup option is also worth considering. Any valuable information from Outlook should be copied for recall. Sooner or later, you may need to find particular conversations for personal or legal purposes. In case of server failure, if the data disappears (which is a nightmare scenario!) you will have the XLS file to fall back on.
How to Export Outlook Emails to Excel
Would you like to create distribution list or forensic report? Here is the best way to do this:
- Click the button above to download Outlook Data Export Kit software.
- Install and run it.
- Click “Reports” and choose “Contacts listing” or “List of recipient email addresses” if you want to generate a distribution list,
choose “Email properties…” if you want to create a list of Outlook emails within their properties.
- Choose the report options and execute the report.
- Open result file in Microsoft Excel or another spreadsheets editor.
Also Data Extraction Kit for Outlook allows to create a list of Outlook accounts and passwords. Check this out. Additionally you may want to know how to Import Email Addresses From Excel to Microsoft Outlook.
How to Export Mail Data to Microsoft Excel using Outlook
This is not rocket science, but here is a caveat: do not expect to retain any styling. The data will be transferred as plain text with contacts, and any links will be basic. There are no exceptions or workarounds here, neither on Windows nor on Mac. If you really need to preserve the appearance of the original emails, save them as HTML instead. Otherwise, follow this procedure:
- Open the Microsoft Outlook app.
- Head to the File menu.
- Choose the feature for opening and export.
- Select “Import/Export” to find “Export to a File”.
- Specify that you need to create a file for Excel (CSV), not a PST file.
- Choose from the available folders where the file can be saved.
- Place a tick next to the “E-Mail messages” export option.
- Change the Map Custom fields if necessary.
- Finalize by clicking ‘Finish’.
- Close the Outlook client.
After you click ‘Finish’, all of your messages will land in the newly created file — check the folder to make sure. Note that both Microsoft Excel formats are suitable.
How to Open a CSV file
In the case of the CSV (Comma Separated Values) format, you can migrate to a spreadsheet afterward just as easily. Just right-click the exported CSV file, and choose ‘Open with…’ — Excel in the context menu. The file will open in the program, so you can save it as an XLS file format.
The Direct Way to extract data from Microsoft Outlook emails
You can move all of your emails from Outlook 2016 or another version on Windows or Mac in bulk. It is not necessary to export the data to a standalone file first. Here is how to get the job done quickly via copy and paste:
- Open Outlook and enter the Mail view.
- Open the folder whose contents must be transferred.
- Copy all emails with or without text (see the tip below).
- Open MS Excel.
- Create a new spreadsheet file.
- Insert the copied emails — select cell A1 and paste using the standard ‘Ctrl + V’/’Command + V’ command to export Outlook emails.
- Save the file. on your Windows or Mac device.
How to Copy Emails for Microsoft Excel (Step 3)
There are two ways to import emails in any version including Outlook 2013 — with or without their text. To preserve the contents, follow all the steps below. To export without them, start from step 6.
Do the following:
- Deactivate the Reading Pane mode of Outlook via the ‘View’ menu.
- While still in View, click the Add Columns option.
- The new box called Show Columns allows you to select columns from ‘All Mail Fields’. Choose this option.
- In the ‘Available Columns’ list, mark ‘Message’.
- Finalize by clicking ‘Add’ and ‘OK’.
- Highlight the full mailbox contents in your open folder.
- Copy the Outlook data using the ‘Ctrl + C’ command.
Export Emails From Outlook to Excel with Date and Time
if you need to preserve the date and time details, use the copy & paste method. The Outlook system will allow you to view emails from a specific data range. The method is similar to ordinary direct copying. Here is what to do:
- Go to the search bar of Outlook 2010 or any other version.
- Enter the two dates defining the range.
- Click ‘Enter’.
- Highlight the emails with the date range (use the tip for Step 3 above).
- Copy the selection (Ctrl + C).
- Open MS Excel.
- Insert the copied data into an empty spreadsheet (Ctrl + V).
Congratulations! Now the messages with the specified time parameters have landed in your spreadsheet. You do not need to search for any folders on our device — just copy and paste directly! This basic method is used for specific types of analytical work. Note that it does not generate an exported CSV file — instead, you save the spreadsheets after pasting the data. Now you know how to export Outlook emails to Excel with date and time.
These are the most common ways to transfer mail data from Outlook 2019 and previous editions to Excel. If one or both of your systems are on Macintosh, the sequence is similar. If you need to physically transfer the CSV file to another computer, use any external memory storage or save it to a cloud. You can also email it to your address for Mac.
If you need backup, you may also export Outlook emails to a standalone PST file. Save it to any safe location. It will contain not just the messages, but also your contacts, tasks, and assignments. You can also transfer emails from other mail clients directly into Outlook with a special converter that generates PST. The data may be downloaded into a separate file or fed directly into your active profile in Outlook.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?